Incomplete medical information or having a certain medical condition is the primary reason an individual will not deploy or is delayed. Individuals are not allowed to deploy with certain medical conditions. Click here for information about disqualifying medical conditions.
*Note: It is difficult to list all conditions that would disqualify someone from deploying. If you have one of the conditions identified or believe you may have a medical condition that would prevent you from deploying, please highlight this information when it is sent to the APPO. You will be reimbursed for your physical and dental exams only. If the UDC doctor requires additional tests or corrective medical procedures to determine deployability, the cost of these additions will be paid by the deployee.
* You must be medically cleared by the UDC doctor before orders will be issued.
* You must deploy with the following medical information:
1) Annotation of blood type and Rh factor, HIV, and DNA.
2) Current medications and allergies. Include any preventive medications prescribed and dispensed to an individual.
3) Special duty qualifications.
4) Annotation of corrective lens prescription.
5) Summary sheet of current and past medical and surgical problems. (DD Form 2807-1)
6) Copy of DD 2795 (Pre-deployment Health Assessment Form).
7) Documentation of dental status class I or II.
8) Immunization record: Must accurately reflect the current status for all immunizations at the time of departure (i.e. last minute immunizations provided on the deployment line must be annotated in the deployment medical record prior to departure. These must be promptly entered into electronic data system to ensure receiving medics in the AOR have access to accurate data for each inbound member).
Since the medical requirement is also the most costly and time consuming, follow the pre-deployment checklist below to ensure all necessary information is sent to the APPO.
_______ DD Form-2808, Report of Medical Exam, completed and signed by your doctor.
_______ DD Form 2807-1, Report of Medical History, completed and signed by your doctor.
_______ DD Form 2795, (Needs to be filled out electronically). Instructions.
_______ DD Form 2813, Report of Dental Exam, completed and signed by your dentist.
_______ DD FORM 771 EYEWEAR PERSCRIPTION must be completed and returned to the UDC a minimum of THREE WEEKS before you deploy, so that your protective mask and ballistic glass inserts can be ordered. This form MUST ALSO be included in your deployment packet, even if glasses/contacts are not required. In that case, simply write "glasses not required" on the form. The DD771 is the only form accepted by DoD when ordering prescription eyewear. NO OTHER FORM OF PRESCRIPTION CAN BE ACCEPTED. (You can include your civilian prescription with the DD771.) PRESCRIPTION MUST NOT BE OLDER THAN ONE YEAR.
To avoid delays in the ordering process, please ensure all writing is clear and legible.
In order to meet deployment requirements, ALL military and civilian personnel who require corrective eyewear are required to have two sets of prescription glasses prior to deployment.
_______ OSHA Respiratory Medical Evaluation Questionnaire form
_______ Complete Smallpox Vaccination Pre-Screening Form
_______ Copy of the laboratory report with the following tests completed:
• Urinalysis (Routine) Includes testing for color, Sp. Gravity, PH
• Chem 7 (include, as part of the Chem 7, a Hemoglobin A1c if you have diabetes, are glucose intolerant [high blood sugars], or are taking medicine to control blood sugar) * Two consecutive months of under 7.1 are required for deployment for all diabetics.
• LIPID Profile (over 40 years of age)
• G6PD (must have a normal result with taking anti-malaria medication)
• Blood Type/RH
• HIV (within 120 days)
• DNA on File (Not always possible, can be done at the UDC)
_______ Copy of the EKG (if over 40 years of age).
_______ Framingham Coronary Heart Disease Risk Percentage - If over 40 years old, fill out this information to calculate your ten year risk assessment. When completed, print out and send to your APPO Representative.
_______ If on prescription medications, you MUST deploy with at least a 180 day supply.
_______ Copy of Audiogram if not completed on the DD From 2808.
_______ Visual Acuity. Either doctor’s note or annotated on the DD Form 2808 (Block 61) or on the “Eyes” section of the SF 78 (page 2).
_______ *PAP smear (within one year) (Actual lab report).
_______ *Mammogram (within two years if over 40 and within one year if over 50) (Actual Radiologist Report).
_______ Pregnancy Test (Urine), within 30 days of deployment. Women who have had hysterectomies are exempt.
*There could be certain circumstances, such as previous abnormal tests or family history issues where these time limits could vary. If you have any questions call the UDC in advance.
_______ ANTHRAX (mandatory for personnel deploying to the USCENTCOM AOR). For additional information on the anthrax vaccine, see http://www.anthrax.osd.mil/.
_______ HEPATITIS A
· Series of 2 injections
· 1st Day 0
· 2nd 0 + 6-12 months
· One series in lifetime, no booster required unless recommended by Health Care Provider.
_______ HEPATITIS B
· Series of 3 injections
· 1st Day 0
· 2nd 0 + 30 days
· 3rd 0 + 6-12 months
· Yearly, between the months of September and May
· For months outside September-May, as recommended by Health Care Provider
_______ MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) (As an adult, once in a lifetime). People born before 1957 do not require a MMR vaccine. MMR should be given either simultaneously or 30 days before receiving anticipated smallpox vaccination.
_______ POLIO (oral or IM) (As an adult, once in a lifetime)
_______ SMALLPOX (Administration per the latest DoD Guidance) required every 10 years. Proof of negative HIV status is required in order to receive smallpox vaccine.
_______ TETANUS / DIPHTHERIA (Once every 10 years)
_______ TUBERCULIN SKIN TEST (PPD) within 90 days of deployment (If there is a history of positive reactions a doctor's evaluation of a chest x-ray, not older than one year, must be submitted).
_______ TYPHOID (Every 2 years)
As you can see, there is a lot to do before you deploy to Iraq or Afghanistan. Once you have all items on this checklist accomplished and have been cleared by the UDC doctor, orders will be issued. All paperwork should be e-mailed to your APPO Representative or faxed to 540-665-3757/3787.